View Single Post
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Oh dear, I made talk.* explode.

Can a moderator please move this sub-discussion into Alternatives and name it "I DEMAND STYLUS KEYBOARD IN MER" or something along those lines? This thread about opening things in Diablo is way too important for this discussion to happen within it.

First off, let's operate with the principle of less talking more doing. If you want stylus keyboard support, one of you should sit down, look into Hildon Input Method (Framework) differences between Diablo and Fremantle HIM(F). At that point, you suggest a fix, we add it to the distribution, done deal.

You have no vendor but this community itself. Find someone who can do it and do it. If not, we can't have stylus keyboard.

Story is that someone removed stylus keyboard support from HIMF in Fremantle (which was completely unneeded in my humble opinion).

Reasoning for thumb keyboard (and yes, I think a stylus keyboard is excellent in X-Chat or X-Term):

The UI doesn't lend itself to stylus keyboard and I don't think Fremantle apps expect to be squeezed.

We have been lagging behind in HIM versions (stuck at Diablo versions) for ages now, with the problems that come with that.

We have excellent open source thumb keyboards now and ability to make many different types (see https://bugs.maemo.org/attachment.cg...56&action=view )

Besides that, it's trivial to recompile the old HIM packages and use them..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: