View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
Having used both and others as well I must say I still like GTK as a user the most.
But I would like to have them better interconnected. It's possible to theme each other supposedly though I only manage one way always gtk apps as qt.
QGtkStyle should help with that.

Freedesktop should specify all these things so that irrelevant of the toolkit it would be the same data in the end.
Not that I disagree with your point, its just that Freedesktop has come a long way.

Originally Posted by korbé View Post
I prefer to pay for a copy of a Free Software (FOSS) for it evolves than pay for a very restricted licence for only use a proprietary software.
Then realize that by buying a Nokia N900 you support Maemo development which is 99% open source software. Instead of crying about that 1%, why not applaud the 99%?

You're free to run 100% open source Mer or buy another mostly-opensource-smartphone with an OS such as Android or OpenMoko. The former is not a UNIX-like environment with X, whereas the latter does not come with 3G.

I already made example of firmware. Even OpenMoko has proprietary firmware for the GSM whereas the GSM is just embedded hardware; the firmware is software. Same with a BIOS, and there are tons of other examples.

Originally Posted by Alex Atkin UK View Post
People say Open Source is about freedom. But unless you know C++ you are pretty much screwed
You just insulted tons of C and Python programmers. has it ever occured to you that if you don't know e.g. C++ you can learn it or hire someone who knows? So lets say you found a bug in PulseAudio. You pay the developer to fix it. With Microsoft Windows that is not possible, whereas almost everything of Maemo is open source. The most important stuff is core software (usually LGPLed libraries) whereas something like Ovi Maps or Google Maps or Mediaplayer can be replaced. The rest of the software does not depend on such proprietary technology. So something like Mer can simply ship without that and be 100% open source, while proprietary software can be programmed and distributed for Maemo without making the OS less free.