View Single Post
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
One thing to note. With all of this 'newness' the memory constraints of the N900 become the largest bottleneck. Considering that the browser (with js engine) as well as the code and scene-assets must be loaded into memory, the usage gets quite large quite quickly.

As a stand-alone player, this would be quite a good deal lighter, though as with all 3D apps on the system, smart scene-management will be a requirement. For on-the-fly management, a quick read from the drive can yield new scene-assets (or a free and garbage collection call to release), but this implies a stand-alone player as doing this online would introduce the bottleneck of network access speeds via loads through the browser (not ideal for mid-level loading).

The plugin alone consumes roughly 30MB of system memory. I'm not sure what a V8 Javascript engine would consume, but I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that it would be reasonably small. This means that without doing anything, an O3D app would (in my guesstimation) consume around 40MB of memory. A bit steep, but a good tradeoff considering the potential expansion of 3D development community for maemo.

|:^!~