View Single Post
Posts: 165 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Boston MA USA
Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Hmm, this sounds peculiar. I have left my 770 to download en masse countless times, and I have never experienced an issue like that. I wonder if the blanking works differently on the n800 (OS 2007) as it does on the 770 (OS 2006). It's possible that OS 2007 is sending applications different signals based on blanking events, which may disrupt Maemo Mapper's interpretation of the signals.
My initial observations were subjective, based on the progress bar, so I decided to look for a more reliable indicator. Now I bring up the Connection Manager status page, which tells a different story. Most of the time the counters do advance while the screen is blanked, and I can imagine the exceptions being WiFi flakiness. So let's call this a no dupe, or impatient consumer bogosity. Sorry! (You're off the hook.)

That long label is not long enough to describe the actual functionality of that checkbox. Screen blanking is only prevented when your current position changes, which means you'll need a GPS device. The assumption is that you don't really need to keep the screen on if you're not actually moving. Of course, in your case, that's exactly what you want, but only because the blanking is disrupting your downloads.
Thanks for the clarification. Generally, I'd like the _system_ level option to not blank at least while on AC, but this would be more of a Nokia dev issue, or an opportunity for hacking. I might take it on myself if nobody beats me to it.

Does the problem only occur in winmapper, not Maemo Mapper? I don't know how winmapper works, but it's possible that you're getting the captcha due to the mass downloading. I've never seen the captcha myself, but it has been reported by some, and that might cause 0-byte file entries, and since it's not entirely consistent, it could (for example) work in Maemo Mapper and not work in winmapper.
In my experience the failed downloads are 100% reproducible in winmapper, and not at all in Maemo Mapper. I've scrutinized the strings repeatedly to eliminate the possibility of typos. And while I've also seen the forum reports, it seems there must be something different about how the two apps interact with the Google map server. Also, the problem only affects streets, not topo.

So I'll ask the question: Can anyone reliably download Google street maps through winmapper on a Windows box, here and now (not last week or last month)? If so, what URL string are you using? Thanks.