View Single Post
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Have to admit I've never tried it on a 770;

One thing I can recommend trying to help troubleshoot is going into xterm, becoming root, and 1) type in "route" and see what the routing table shows (i.e. does it see your eth0 adapter with an IP), 2) do an ifconfig (and see if eth0 is listed and if it does indeed have an IP and 3) if both those are good try a ping to see if traffic will actually go across the interface. If the ping works then it's definitely something goofy with the ICD stuff...
Well, I finally tried again with OS2008HE. I was buoyed up from good success with the port of gphoto2, which also uses USB connections and was written for 8x0 tablets without any adaptation for 2008HE. I am now using a USB power injector that supplies up to 800 mA, so we can rule out any power shortage as a possible cause of failure. (The limit was 350 mA on earlier attempts.)

With the RTL8150, the results were as before. The message came up "Connected to WIRED", all the correct LED's lit up, and Connection Manager indicated the connection to "WIRED". The MicroB browser disagreed and suggested that there was no internet connection. Following your advice, I ran "route" and "ifconfig".

The output from "route" looks like nothing but column headers:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface

[I wrote these in the same pattern as the output, but multiple spaces have been edited out by the forum.]

"ifconfig -a" returned information about lo and wlan0, but no mention of eth0.

"ifconfig eth0" returned the following:

ifconfig: eth0: error fetching interface information : Device not found

On my router, I had disabled MAC Address Filtering. I don't think there is anything else on the wired LAN that could have blocked the connection (no Client IP Filters). The DHCP server was on. Although the router's LED indicated a live connection to the Tablet, the DHCP Client List had only one entry, my desktop PC.

I previously mentioned a suspicion that my Tablet might not in fact have a driver for the RTL8150. I decided to try with a TrendNet TU-ET100C, since your packages include the Pegasus driver that it needs. (If I had paid closer attention to the "version magic" messages, I would have saved myself the time and money. I'll come back to that later.)

When I ran usbEthUp.sh with the TrendNet attached, I got the following output in XTerm:

udhcp (v0.9.9-pre) started
SIOGGIFINDEX failed : No such device

The only difference from the RTL8150 attempts was that the router's LED did not light up for the TrendNet.

Looking back through the XTerm output, I found "version magic" messages which had popped up during installation of your packages (I think). In the past, I have usually found that these messages were a good sign, indicating that a usable substitute had been installed instead of a specified file. This time, I failed at first to notice a crucial difference: the version magic did not install any substitutes. The first message was:

catc : version magic '2.6.21-omap1 mod_unload ARMv6 ' should be '2.6.16.27-omap1 preempt ARMv5 gcc-3.4'

and similarly for all the other drivers in the package. Although App Manager indicated a successful installation, it appears that the drivers were not in fact installed.

Sorry that this post is another downer. I have aimed it mainly at 770 users who are using OS2008HE (supposedly Chinook) to run apps written for (real) OS2008 Chinook. Anyone hoping to do that with these packages needs a good knowledge of networking, Unix and Linux (I don't) and must be prepared to invest money and a lot of time in the attempt.