View Single Post
Originally Posted by jpj View Post
(1) On the N800, if I specify a large download set (big region, high zoom, whatever), all goes well until the screen blanker kicks in. Touch the screen to wake it up, and the download appears stalled (no action on the progress indicator). MM will continue auto-downloading as needed to refresh the display while I frob around, but the batch goes nowhere until I restart it.
Hmm, this sounds peculiar. I have left my 770 to download en masse countless times, and I have never experienced an issue like that. I wonder if the blanking works differently on the n800 (OS 2007) as it does on the 770 (OS 2006). It's possible that OS 2007 is sending applications different signals based on blanking events, which may disrupt Maemo Mapper's interpretation of the signals.

I can try and tweak the signal handling code, but without an n800, I'd just be shooting wildly at the air, hoping not to make things worse. So, likely, I won't be able to address this issue until I can actually test on the n800. *grumble*

(1a) Settings -> Misc -> "Keep Display On Only in Fullscreen Mode" is checked, but my N800 display still blanks, fullscreen or not. AC or batttery power makes no difference. Am I missing something? I can sustain a long download only by tickling the screen periodically to keep it awake. This gets tiresome fast.
That long label is not long enough to describe the actual functionality of that checkbox. Screen blanking is only prevented when your current position changes, which means you'll need a GPS device. The assumption is that you don't really need to keep the screen on if you're not actually moving. Of course, in your case, that's exactly what you want, but only because the blanking is disrupting your downloads.

One alternative might be to start a download, and then run the media player with a video on repeat so that it keeps the screen from blanking.

(2) I originally set MM up with mt[...]v=w2.29 in the Google Maps (streets) URL, and that works fine. However, the same exact string fails in Ioan's winmapper. It creates the map directory structure on my Windows box, including 0-byte file entries at each folder which vanish shortly after they appear. Sniffing at current Google Maps output in Firefox, v=w2.37 appears current, but that fails the same way as 2.29.
Does the problem only occur in winmapper, not Maemo Mapper? I don't know how winmapper works, but it's possible that you're getting the captcha due to the mass downloading. I've never seen the captcha myself, but it has been reported by some, and that might cause 0-byte file entries, and since it's not entirely consistent, it could (for example) work in Maemo Mapper and not work in winmapper.