View Single Post
Originally Posted by sofauxboho View Post
Ukki, thanks so much! I have things up and running well using the OS X binary you provided. Is that binary up to date with the current git repository code? It was a very easy and pleasant install.

A few questions and comments:
1) Is it possible to use authentication in the web interface?
2) Is it possible to stream to VLC rather than the embeded FlowPlayer?
3) Is it possible to remove the branding from the FlowPlayer?
4) Path browsing (my preferred method) is very slow. Would it be possible to cache directory structure for faster browsing?
5) Some files and even entire directories are missing when browsing via path. Any idea why?

BTW, I've also updated the wiki page to point to this new version:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Knots

Thanks again!
Yes, it's up to date. It's all a moving target, but I thought I'd release it now and see if there's any interest for it. It's again in works for me state and the partial Windows support was just a bonus because it didn't require too many changes (but the installation isn't the easiest because of the extra gems you need to install). Maybe someone with Windows could join the project to make the support better?

Few comments

1. Yes, but client doesn't work if you enable ssl and auth, so you need to restart the server without it if you want to use it locally. If you enable ssl and add a user, you can access your collection from the internet too. Adding users has no gui, but you can do it from the terminal, but it seems I left it out from the "binary" If you need this feature, you can grab the nix package and use that instead:

Code:
cd knots
./scripts/user add username password
./scripts/setup webrick_ssl 1
./knots.rb
But beware that you also need to forward port 19780 for one stream. Every stream needs a port after that so if you want to be able to view for example 3 streams, you need 19780-19783. But vlc streams are not authed so it's not 100 % secure in that sense.

2. It all depends on your setup. You can use passthrough profile for transcode free playback, but it uses the embed tag so I've no idea what each os wants to use for playback This is probably a feature I should work on.

3. Removing Flowplayer branding requires a license I guess

4 and 5. I'm using not so optimal way to page the results (works with all, but at cost) so it may be a little slow. Browsing by path is actually using the database so it leaves out paths that don't have scanned media.

Like I said, it's pretty rough around the edges, but it's been quite a huge task to make. It's now pretty usable, but if there's interest, I'll try to work on it more. And anyone is welcome to join the project, documenters, web designers and testers would be highly valuable

The Following User Says Thank You to ukki For This Useful Post: