View Single Post
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
But it was pretty simple to get started and had sufficient extensibility to keep people away from the C/C++ stuff unless they were really hardcore/mad
The OPL language also stayed the same (or at least largely the same, with the addition of extra features) for all of the Psion range (i.e. 1984 till 2000-odd, and even now you can download the OPL runtime for Symbian phones).
All true. But I started late, with a Series5 in 1997 and then a couple of 5mx until around 2002 (yes, those were fragile beasts :-).

The thing is, when Psion pulled out of the market and my last screen cable gave up the ghost, all the untold man-hours I'd sunk into coding my own stuff in OPL went down the drain at the same time...

That was a lesson learnt, and I'm not getting burnt again. Since then I've only bought devices with good Python support (hence the Zaurus, then the 770), and done webapps when I could get away with it.

Of course, if the Psion had had a proper Python port with EPOC API bindings, things woulda been different :-)