View Single Post
Posts: 251 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Houston, Texas
My main concern with OSS is that the documentation is sparse if not non-existent for some applications. It ends up being like the old Colossal Cave adventure game--you have to experiment and guess to even find out what the rules are (or compare notes with others!).

Some ports (like Gnumeric) still have major problems in the submenus when trying to do formatting. The "ports" therefore are not complete until all bugs are wrung out from every routine. OSS often is not structured enough in the source code to make this an easy task to convert from a PC to a Hildonized interface.

As my N800 still has occasional "pausing" problem, I suspect that one or more of the routines used by an application are not good Maemo "neighbors" (brings back memories of Windows 3.1 and how some programs would not play nice together in the sandbox!).

Still...I think that OSS should be encouraged and nurtured otherwise we'll have big "M" telling us how things should be done and Genuine Advantage phoning home every hour on the hour.

The Following User Says Thank You to rdcinhou For This Useful Post: