View Single Post
Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by TheGogmagog View Post
offline voice recognition would be nice, but as mentioned would be limited by processor. By shunting the tough work to google's servers... not so much of a limitation. Makes me wonder what other processor heavy apps could share the load elsewhere. Everything comes to mind invoves video, and with my experience with VNC that still wouldn't work out right.
Given that it was perfectly possible to do voice recognition on a Pentium 90 with 64 MB of RAM more than 10 years ago, I find the argument that voice recognition would require more processing power than even the humble 770 can provide a bit suspicious. Of course, when IBM provided voice recognition with OS/2 Warp 4.0, they did deliver a well-coded piece of software. OTOH, voice recognition without intelligent voice navigation or even a Natural Language User Interface is just another input method -- and one with some annoying traits to boot.