View Single Post
I'm almost an owner. I guess it's in the mail so to speak. I'm a long time IT professional who's technical skills have fallen off the map as i've moved into managing people instead of technology. However, I'm still very much a gadget freak. Liked my Archos 605 for playing media but hated it's battery and that's all it was good for to me. Bought an ipod touch and have returned it as it just reaffirmed I'm no apple guy. I don't like being tied to itunes or Apples proprietary file formats. And most, I can't believe I cannot easily get skype on the Touch in Canada without a work around and messing with a fake US iTunes account (Good Gravy!!!!). I'm also a BB freak and have one tied to my hip for work, but am disappointed in its browsing capabilities and the CDMA carriers reluctance to introduce wifi into these devices.

So I search around and the N810 met all the "specs" i was looking for on paper. I liked that it had GPS, that I could tether it in a pinch to my Berry if I preferred to browse on it, and that it appeared it could also replace my Archos as well. But after further researching, it would appear there are some performance issues on GPS, Browsing, and media playing. So what gives and just how bad is this. I can live without GPS I guess as I do have a Nuvi. How bad or good are it's media capabilities. I torrent down lots of TV shows and loved that I could leave them in their original format and play them flawlessly on my Archos. Is this going to be a problem on the N810? Browsing - I'm ok slow as the BB is no speed demon and I find I'm looking for mobile versions of websites now anyway. If I'm going to surf for hours I'll pull out my 17" notebook or my MSI Wind, but would definitely like to browse while waiting in an airport or do some casual browsing to Blogs like Crackberry.com. And just how bad is the GPS? I don't care about turn by turn, but if I've travelled to the US for business, can I leave my Nuvi at home and at least get a map and directions on the N810?

I don't even have this device in my possesion yet so am in no way slamming it. However, any and all feedback is appreciated to determine if I should cancel this order and look for another device or wait for the next gen NIT. Thoughts?