View Single Post
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Sigtuna, Sweden
There is, I guess, a more than usual uncertainty about the future of portable computing.

Within a couple of years we will have ~10 or more hours of enough computing power for most people
very pocketable.
But not even (we) consumers know what kind of ergonomics we will want to carry with us.

Linux seems to be rapidly growing as a focus of interest.
And the ARM architecture has yet no real competition (?).
But what to put it into ?

Consider "old" times with paper and pencil, and the popular sizes of calendars :
Anything from a bit smaller than an n810 to a bit larger than a Filofax.

Really pocketable > smartphone size - (thin) NITs.
For photo albums > postcard size screen, or more ?
For keeping your diary > a really good (possibly thumb) keyboard.
Or a projector + a small screen ?
And how will business needs adapt ?

Will trousers have side pockets for light ~4*6*.5 inch devices ?
How about handbag fashion ?

Or (some time later) a sheet of fast colour-digital-paper containing computer and battery,
that curles up around your arm under the shirt/jacket sleeve, but snaps flat when you use it.

So, I guess Nokia would want maemo to take care of all kinds of input/output methods and sizes ASAP,
( software maturing slower than hardware, )

>> but I doubt that they (or the competition) have any good idea about the best strategy to achieve that without loosing a head start !

Nokia, anyway, made a brave start.
As to the difficulties they have had (and made) trying to merge with open source methods,
I think any large company would have had them.

It is difficult to make so different methods of developement cooperate efficiently.
I have seen that in other circumstances (http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...5&postcount=91).

Last edited by KristianW; 2009-04-20 at 04:47.

The Following User Says Thank You to KristianW For This Useful Post: