View Single Post
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
The way I see it, the NITs are pretty much an island, there is practically no alternative today if one wants truly pocketable openness (with android devices just emerging on the horizon).
Even that is overly optimistic; everything has to be re-written for the unique environment of Android.

Maemo's standardness is its main strength, the thing that sets the Maemo devices apart from all the rest. That's a standard Linux kernel under the hood, and everything is built on standard, open-source toolkits, so it is relatively painless to port stuff... Unlike the competition, which requires a complete development from scratch approach.

Nokia's hardware / product strategy is still pretty old-fashioned, though. I understand qgil's assertion that we're talking Real Money here, but his post sounded like an apology that nobody at Nokia is brave enough to risk Real Money on an unproven strategy, followed by a challenge along the lines of, "None of you big talkers would be brave enough either!"

In response, I'll say two things -- first, Nokia's still making a healthy profit, even in 'these times', and secondly, increased risk can lead to increased profit, sometimes.

But I think the risks inherent in the Maemo SW division are already high, and so we won't see any more risky behaviour, at least in the short term.

Last edited by qole; 2009-04-20 at 01:00. Reason: link to qgil's post

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: