View Single Post
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ China
Hi all!
I've been very encouraged to read all the success stories with GVM on this forum, but I'm kind of tearing (what's left of) my hair out trying to get all my important apps and data installed into the GVM.

My question #1: Could someone who's successfully hotsynced their GVM please post the contents of their gvm.conf file (located in /usr/bin/gvm)? [With personal details X'd out of course].

Question #2: Has anyone gotten networking to work between Resco Explorer and their Mac? If so, were you able to move any and all files over to the GVM--even non-prc or pdb files?

I have never been able to get my GVM (on my n810) to sync with any desktop machine (Vista or Mac). I thought I'd be able to install certain files that are rejected by the GVM "Install" process, but doing the ftp thing with Resco hasn't overcome that hurdle. Even when I try to trick the GVM by adding a *.pdb to the end of files, the Resco "install to RAM" contextual menu item fails (it gives me "file corrupted" messages). I am now trying to get device-to-device networking set up, but I've just discovered that I need to mess with the "smb.conf" file in Leopard to get my network visible in Resco--I did some simple programming decades ago and have worked with several OS's, but I am still a newbie with this Unix stuff, and I'm pretty fed up with having to decipher another forum full of Unix jargon just to set up networking between my computer and the tablet.

So, I've decided that I might try the hotsync thing again--the problem with the Missing Sync for Palm is that it requires a Hotsync ID (set beforehand by a USB cable sync) for the device. I've not been able to get my Hotsync ID to "stick" to my GVM because none of my Hotsync's have worked. (I even reflashed the tablet and ONLY installed a bare GVM just to Hotsync it--and I was not able to get it to work).

I've trolled the forums and internet to try to figure out a direct way to get certain data into the GVM, but nothing seems to be available except for Hotsync and Resco.

For example, the PIM databases from my Palm TX are not compatible with the PIM apps in the GVM (which use the older format for that kind of data). Also, the GVM refuses to install my Splashwallet data files, so, the only way for me to get that data in would be to manually input it or Hotsync it.

If I can change the gvm.conf file and manually type in my Hotsync ID (and serial number and/or device ID), then, perhaps the Missing Sync might recognize my GVM as my Palm TX and then allow a Hotsync. Worth a try? What do you all think?

Thanks again to you all for these forums! It's been a great help!