View Single Post
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
@allnameswereout: It's just funny how much you care about the Pandora when you haven't even ordered one. It seems like the people here who ordered knew what they were getting into and accepted the risks. As for not having a track record: Most of the people involved with the Pandora have an excellent record as community members, but making a console from scratch was a new direction for them. Yes there have been bumps, but I'm confident they will ship a finished product.
Consumer-wise I don't pre-order except in real-life stores when I feel sure they will deliver. It is rather a down payment then though.

I hardly buy hardware right when it comes out. It seems to me that I'm a beta tester then, paying the full price. Might as well wait a while after the hype cooled down.

If I could buy and receive a Pandora right now I would either buy one now or buy one very soon --in time for someones birthday. Someone who is in need of a (mobile) game computers to play relatively simple games such as puzzles. BTW, previously this was scheduled for christmas.

That making a console from scratch is a new direction for them is evident. But that is an explanation; not an excuse. And, that is partly my point. Nokia has experience with this. In all the major players in this field I feel that Nokia has the right balance between open source and commercial. Between choice of proprietary software and the freedom to modify the device and OS. Between service and integration (Nokia's Ovi is going to cooperate with Microsoft btw). I believe Nokia is able to deliver an open platform, which is aimed for touchscreen with a default configuration which is satisfying for a new user whereas allowing a hacker/techie to modify the product. I don't believe Apple can fullfil that role for me. They're too restrictive lacking for example something as simple as BlueTooth. Maemo, platform with momentum. And, a niche player would have a long way to go.