View Single Post
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
...that a vocal portion of the pro-desktop-ports contingent isn't interested in Hildonization or any UI tweaking beyond the bare minimum needed to get a new desktop application mostly working. To them, the tablets are just more Linux boxen, if unusually small ones, and Nokia's finger friendly efforts just get in the way.

As building your multi-mode UI would require even more work during a port, I don't see it being universally embraced.

I think quite the opposite, it would allow most apps to run by just compiling them, without hildonization. If the app has enough interest it may be adapted to be used in the standard environment.

People say its only the geeks that want these type of environments. However lets not forget, if the geeks go elseware, the mass market will eventually follow.

If the desktop environment was supported instead of being hacks, I think the entire user community would embrace it because its functionality would far exceed the current supported environment.

I as always must thank Nokia/Maemo for doing such a great job on the hardware, and the level of openness the have given us. I just want them to get onboard with a full computer suite, because I don't think it will ever be done right, unless "Nokia/Maemo" does it internally.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.