View Single Post
Eh, hardcopy - an actual physical storage of the file either on optical disk or magnetic storage, as different from a copy out in the ether on a machine which I do not maintain. Don't get me wrong, I am much impressed with automatic structures involved in the way we get updates over the internet for Linux and Windows. If my OS is wrecked and I want to rebuild it NOW, and the multiple systems and providers I have to go through aren't ALL functional, then I have a broken system until the distant server is up again, or the local cable provider repairs their link, fill in the blank with reason why. An actual file I can install the os, and then fbreader from using the "install from file" feature in application manager is worth more to me than what is a file system (usually well) maintained by someone else. Normally I navigate to the URL of the repository and physically select the file, the update area on the repository now has a username and pass requirement. I find if I wreck something or the newest flash is less able than previous I will rebuild faster from files than scrolling through application manager and resetting the repositories - time saved in the future by taking more time now. Call me old-school...

b747mech

Say! Someone shrunk my Commodore 64 and gave it the abilities of a supercomputer from it's place in time! -->N800

Also run PCLinuxOS for desktop, XP MCE2005 for home theatre