View Single Post
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Lee's Summit, MO, USA
Originally Posted by Konceptz View Post
This is similar to the HTC situation. It's funny how different groups react to the same situation.

N8x0 get's a thread. HTC users go for a website begging for HTC to do something.
Funny you mention this, as I am actively involved in trying to corner HTC into coughing up drivers for the AMD Imageon 2300 chipset integrated on-die with the QualComm MSM7x00 chipset. I call them every day for my touch. The part about it is, I use Sprint and I will raise holy hell if they don't give me what was advertised or something that does what HTC promised in the first place. I plan on doing the same when the N810 WiMax Edition comes out.

The matter of the fact is that HTC doesn't want to pay the licensing fees for the drivers. There is no technical limitation, as the Touch Diamond actually has customized Imageon drivers and they can handle a VGA screen and TouchFLO 3D on a VGA screen as opposed to an almost identical chipset driving a QVGA screen.

They learned that people aren't stupid and they know what their devices are capable of and want what they paid their hard-earned cash for. Verizon found this out when they tried to hinder Bluetooth support on devices and caught hell from their subscribers and the law for knowingly restricting functionality.

If Nokia were smart, they'd just eat some crow and pay the nominal fee, whatever it may be for the PowerVR graphics built in. I wonder if they realize that Sprint is a memeber of the Open Handset Alliance and people already have Android on their phones with working 3D drivers. In fact, I have it on my Touch. If nokia is unwilling to provide drivers in an Maemo, there is always Android which will inevitably include the missing drivers for the DSP and OGL ES capabilities Nokia refuses to include.

It is kind of like how Nokia refuses to provide JVM for Maemo, but you can bet that either Sprint or Sun will provide that, otherwise...Android is there to do what Nokia won't.

If I were Nokia, I'd include the drivers and ask PowerVR (c'mon, these are the guys who perfected tile-based rendering) to develop or open-source the drivers. Either way, competition wins, whether bull-headed devs want to release software for something or not. Another thing is that Intel's new MID platform uses PowerVR technology as well and guess who is the big pusher of WiMax? Right.

Just give us the drivers and stop treating us like children, Nokia. We'll either optimize them to work better or just simply say "hmm...well, you're right, it just can't handle the rendering requirements," but something is better than nothing.

Or you might just have a class-action on your hands like HTC is on the verge of with all the disgruntled MSM7x00 chipset-based phone holders like me. Come to think of it, just to make you think, I'll register a domain to rattle your cage and bring unwanted attention and questions from superiors and partners why you are being so un-cooperative. I'll get in touch with the owner of htcclassaction.org for a little synergy action.

Yeah, I have a problem with authority, especially developers who think they are always right and their opinions are the only ones who matter.

And the resolution excuse....paska puheta, for all you in Tampere in Espoo. You know damn well it's a canned pacification response.

Last edited by Mutiny32; 2008-07-11 at 11:21.