View Single Post
Rubbish, the PowerVR will quite happily support our screen resolution. In fact I was talking to a Nokian at LinuxTag who had been using it on the N8x0. It uses a shared SDRAM frame buffer afaik, so the frame size is not limited. It does use internal memory for some things (like a Z-buffer, tile buffer), at least that's what it says in the few docs which are available, so this will set some limit to the number of items on the display. Not related to the screen/frame size though.

With regard to the driver, it's buggy and messy and won't be released as it would be be troublesome to support (that's my impression); to get it rewritten into a better form would cost money.

There is certainly an LCD controller bandwidth limitation, but this doesn't stop the PowerVR from performing complex 3D transformations, etc., just limits your maximum screen update rate.

Some of us started looking at the driver (there's an old 2.6.10 (iirc) driver for the PowerVR in the OMAP2430 floating around), but I at least have been busy doing other things.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post: