View Single Post
Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by jamesc760 View Post
I take issues with what generalantilles has stated regarding the wifi settings and disabling the metalayer-crawler. I AM a newbie when it comes to the NIT devices; I've barely had the unit myself for only about a month. I have to admit that I am quite comfortable with Linux, having used RedHat since 1997, not Debian, though.
Take issue all you want, but he's still right. The 10mW transmission power has been confirmed by Nokia to only be for regulatory purposes in countries that don't allow the higher 100mW transmissions for non-licensed electronics. It doesn't affect power consumption. [1] Also, changing Max to Intermediate *does* negatively affect power consumption *and* it isn't an issue for many (most?) people. It would be nice if you maybe prefixed that suggestion with "If you're having problems with your wireless connection dropping you might try..."

Also, having had problems with metalayer-crawler in the past I'm the first one to say it has issues and is far from perfect, but if you decide to just disable it, how do you get the built-in media player to play two or more songs in a row? I haven't found a way yet, but maybe I'm missing something obvious. Maybe add "If you no longer use the built-in media player (in favor of Canola, UKMP, etc) and you have battery life issues, consider disabling metalayer crawler on a trial basis, then if all is still good for you here are the steps to disable it semi-permanently (until a reflash)..."

Other than that the list looks good, and it's nice to see someone stepping up to provide it. Thanks!

-John

[1] https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=256