View Single Post
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
IAgree on the matter. Walled garden is the wrong term imo but there are shared symptoms.
The cause is very different tho. We have no elitist payed guys "sitting" on their knowledge, only releasing it for rolling bucks.
The cause for info about the Proš port being scattered or only available on request is because no one (but the porters actually on gitlab) keep documentation up to date and cares to announce changes.
I think 'walled garden' is the perfect description. There are promises of all the wonders within, but you can't find out whats really there without paying the price of admission (sign up / install their software platform / whatever). You can't peer in from outside (anonymous viewing), and you can't check a catalogue (i.e. the contents are not indexed by outside search engine as far as I can tell). And as such, if/when the head groundskeeper decides to change the price of admission, or demolish the whole place and build a carpark, any content is likely lost.

Yes, I'm old and grumpy. Sorry.

As robthebold said, VoLTE seems the biggest single risk to SFOS future. My biggest annoyance with SFOS is that after 7(?) years and 5 handsets, I've still never acheived a reliably working telephone. I get random call drops, lost audio, randomly forgotten or ignored bluetooth headsets. There are other issues, but over the last year, working from home more than ever, has made me realise how annoying it really is. Working for myself, there's only so many dropped or missed customer calls I can take before it stops being funny.
I have seriously considered a dumb 4g phone several times, but I don't think I could stand sending SMS that way in the 21st century

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: