View Single Post
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I don't know where you are getting this from, is it a local thing? Can you provide some source on that?
Yes, but why don't you just read the source you quoted, its definition proper (and first sentence!):
"The right of possession (jura possessionis) means that someone currently holds something in hand and this person may be the temporary keeper or the long-term owner of an object."
But its wording is very colloquially ("holds something in hand"), hence imprecise, and it consistently (also in the examples) adds the irrelevant aspect that that entity may also be the owner.

A brief and concise source for separating these rights properly is the "Updated November 4, 2020" paragraph here (the remainder of the article is only about property rights).
If you want to read for hours (it is really interesting): This site explains the basic terms and concepts, commonalities and differences of British, US-American, French and German law. But you will not find a significant difference WRT these fundamental terms and concepts, as they all root in Roman law.

As you seem to be quite emotional about this topic, you may expect others to be equally emotional about the GPLv3.
To me "it is what it is", one just should be aware of its true properties when utilising it!
Or as @rinigus expressed that WRT all *GPL* licenses:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
[...] GPL has it's purpose and we just have realize it when the license for your code is selected. In case of Qt, it is a way to ask for commercial licenses for non-free software. [...]
One may call the the wording and consequences of the *GPLv3 "absurd", but it does not matter for most private use cases: I.e., when the "user" of the software is the owner of the device it runs on.

Side note: The suggestion to alter the term "user" to "licensee" (or a definition of "licensee"; as in most other FLOSS licenses, including the GPLv2 & LGPLv2.1), and to "device owner" specifically for the "Anti-TiVo section" was brought to the FSF's attention in the GPLv3 consultation process (ca. 15 years ago). That would have expressed the publicly stated goals of the GPLv3 properly. But obviously the switch to "user" in the first place, plus ignoring that input was done deliberately.

Thus "it is what it is", including its properties which make *GPLv3 software unsuitable for use cases, in which the software user in possession of a device (on which this software runs) is not the owner of that device.

P.S.: What gets me started are interpretations or statements about FLOSS licenses, which are not backed by the specific license in question.

Last edited by olf; 2021-03-28 at 11:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to olf For This Useful Post: