View Single Post
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay boys, listen up!

I think I've found a dirty, filthy, slutty like a squealing pig solution with the virtual keyboard in Dosbox!

Hey OSEmuTech... front and center! I'm going to need your help on this theory!

Here's the idea in a nutshell. Note, this is only going to be good for Dosbox, nothing else.

Xkbd doesn't like certain keys and causes random crashes.

So what's the solution then? We don't use those keys. See how easy that was?

Now the trick for this to all come together is finding out every possible key that Xkbd is willing to accept consistently and not using the ones it doesn't like such as the keys "a" through "z".

Here's an example taken from the mapper.txt file:
key_1 "key 49"
key_a "key 97"

I know that the number keys always work so here's the switch-a-roo solution:
key_1
Key_a "key 49"

So what does this mean?

Every time I hit "1" on the Xkbd keyboard, the letter "a" will show up on the screen, each and every time! No crashes!

The only thing left that needs to be done, is to change the "1" graphic on the keyboard to an "a".

To put this all together, the button on the Xkbd keyboard will show an "a", when touching that button it will generate a signal stating that the number "1" was pressed, by manipulating the mapper.txt file, it will think that "1" represents the letter "a".

Anyone getting it? And no, Pushwall, I'm not talking about your sex life.

The main struggle to this, is finding every possible key that Xkbd is willing to accept, being function keys, symbols, what have you. Obviously the number keys are important so we shouldn't use those, I only mentioned them as an example.

Once that is all compiled together, given there are enough keys to go around, mapping these out to the alphabet should only take a matter of an hour or so.

So step one: How do we find out which keys does Xkbd not get fussy over?

From there, a temporary solution should shortly come.

Can I get a witness?