View Single Post
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
I see what you did there . . . Homophones are fun!
I had to google what is a homophone (not a gay phone obviously). But yes, homophones seem to be quite common particularly among native English speaking people, who seem to be less aware of how the words should be written. Finnish language is different because most word are pronounced the same way they are written, and English language feels much different (and more difficult) because of the difference between pronouncing and writing. And as we mostly learn foreign languages in schools by reading and writing them (speaking aloud is too scary), we mostly learn first how to write a word and then try to find out how it should be pronounced. I believe native English speakers learn their language mostly by listening their parents at home instead. But for some reason I find homophones extremely annoying, at least when they are not used just for fun. On biking forums/social media channels so many people talk about brakes as 'breaks', argh it hurts my eyes I believe my English is probably much more annoying to read, but somehow this is too important to me

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post: