View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Users post only one photo per entry.
That's a tough challenge!

Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
So obviously gas powered bikes are fine.
Only if they are powered by "bio gas". I recommend a big bowl of beans before riding.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
the thing is....... downhill must be earned.
Truer words have never been spoken!

Frankly...where I live...it isn't an option whether to have a regular bicycle to get around or not.
Between :
1- The hills out here,
2- the inclement weather at times,
3- the distances for daily commuting,
4- the cost of daily ferry travel
5- the ferry delays and inconsistent times when the ferry can show...

All make the electric bicycle alternative a "must have" here.
What's your cruising speed and the range of your electric bike?

In Germany the most common type of electric bicycles is limited to 25km/h, which is below my usual cruising speed on good surfaces. You can still ride faster than that, but you won't get any assistance. So for me the motor and battery would mostly be dead weight.
There are other types of bikes that assist up to 45km/h, but these come with other legal limitations that make them largely impractical.

As for range, my "spontaneous horizon" is somewhere around 100km/day. I can ride longer distances, but that requires mental and physical preparation.
At that point though, most battery packs seem to be at or beyond their limit anyways, and that's not even taking battery age or low temperatures into account.
Quite frankly, my main point for not wanting an electric bicycle is that there is no easy and relatively cheap way to replace a 5 years old worn out battery pack. So either I'd have to open the pack and replace the cells myself (which is beyond my current skills), or I'd have to individually task someone to do it for me (which is expensive), or buy a new original pack (which is also expensive, assuming that after 5 or 10 years such a pack would be available at all).
The solution intended by the manufacturers seems to be, to throw away the otherwise perfectly working bike and buy a new one.

2 wheel drive electric ...
I would be careful Maemish.
Not something I would build.
Just don't do it!
The distance that front and rear wheel travel differs in corners. The sharper the corner the more the rear wheel will tend to push you outwards.

That being said I'd advise against a front wheel motor altogether. Sure, it's one of the easiest ways to retrofit a traditional bike, but having a self-powered front wheel can be dangerous in corners. There you usually need the grip to transmit lateral forces. The grip between your tyres and underground is limited, and any force in driving direction takes away grip from that lateral direction. That's also why you brake before reaching the bottom of a corner and not while passing it.

On one of my tours I once encountered an elderly couple who rode electric bicycles with front motors. In a sharp corner the lady turned up the motor which led to her front wheel losing grip. She dropped pretty badly, her battery pack was knocked off the frame and only missed me by centimeters.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Hmmm....
there is always a wind powered bike...
All you need is a good windy day, a bike and a squirrel suit....
And a flexible definition of "destination".
There are several solutions for wind-powered trikes, either via surf sails or para sails.
With these you can cross against the wind, although that might be kind of impractical during rush hour.

Edit:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Years ago, longer than I care to remember, my university took part in some psychological study on "male versus female brain". Part of that study was a task to "draw a bicycle". I challenge you all to try it. You do not need to show the result, do it for yourself. I will reveal the key in a few days' time.
I think I know that study or at least its summary, and I believe that summary was based on a fatal flaw in the conceptual formulation:
If you task someone to "draw a bicycle" (in a limited amount of time) they will usually draw a rough sketch that others will recognize as the representation of a bicycle, just like you'd draw a stickman to represent a person. This sketch will of course miss a lot of essential details that are necessary for an actually functioning bike, but are not necessary for the sketch to be recognized as a bicycle.
The study then went on to criticize these sketches for being sketches, just like one might criticize a stickman for not being survivable because it has no place for organs.

Last edited by sulu; 2019-11-04 at 15:21.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: