View Single Post
Posts: 51 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Mansester, FI
Originally Posted by hhaveri View Post
Using some sort of public/private key signature is the best protection I can currently think of, but I think even that would be hackable and perhaps not worth the effort. In the end, without some sort of platform support for sandboxing apps / protecting IPC, it comes down to trusting all the software you have installed on the device not to be malicious.
That's true, lack of sandboxing (and the fact that all apps run as nemo, if not as root) makes it hard (if not impossible, I'm not security expert) to prevent a malicious application from finding out the secrets - at least without having the user to provide a passphrase to allow Sonar to read it's security config, and even then they might be able to spy IPC.
My idea was, that having key-based authentication would add another layer of security. Then again, I don't really know if it is easy or hard to fake the process command line on SFOS (or Linux in general - probably easy with root privs but how about with normal user privs?).

But you might be right, in the current situation what you've implemented might be as good as it gets without.

Anyway, I installed Sonar and the matching version of Situations over the weekend and I'm soon to find out how things work with them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zagrim For This Useful Post: