Thread: [SailfishOS] Pure Maps
View Single Post
@rinigus: Thanks for looking into this feature,

I have a few suggestions regarding magnetic compass support.

- Enhancing the orientation (auto-rotate) button as tri-state button is a good idea. However someone not always needs a rotated map but a pointer to the direction he/she is currently bearing at. Pure Maps uses a small triangle on the blue location mark to show the heading direction. If a dedicated magnetic compass switch (or preference setting) would exists you could combine auto-rotation of map with magentic compass bearing or GPS heading or leave the map as a calibrated map with North upwards but having the small triangle show your facing or heading direction as you prefer.

- Based on my experience with an old Garmin Etrex Vista I used for geocaching, a Hall
sensor eats a lot of juice. Therefor the compass should only activated if needed, e.g. when a bearing is useful (like standing still on a junction). The Vista uses some dedicated long-press button to activate and deactivate the sensor. Maybe a long-press on the blue location mark could enable / disable compass?

- On Xperia X compass works fine once calibrated (tested with orienteering compass from openrepos)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nekron For This Useful Post: