View Single Post
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
This won't be as good an argument as Mikecomputing

I agree with many of his point and honestly think this is one of the main reasons in my opinion that linux has failed in the mobile space and in general ... the need to redo so many things from start or using the less popular software, I just do understand some times.

However my arguement is that by them choosing gtk/gnome they will make then self quickly compatible with a ton of software (see there video of desktop software that already runs on it) with very little change needed. This is something that really only maybe the n900 came a little close to (not so useable many times).

I would have love them to continue and help nemomobile move forward and kde is further along in many ways, but not sure what the down side are.

So would be interesting in hearing opinions on which would actually make better business sense?

1. go down the same road as all that have failed or not gain a decent market share. use a new UI platform requiring dev to rewrite their apps with a new UI (ubuntu touch, sailfish, blackberry, webos, tizen, firefoxOS, meego, maemo, etc) ... none of these as far as I remember would run desktop software straight in a more usable way. Perhaps ubuntu touch, maemo was easier ... I'm not sure.

or

2. Use the arguably the most popular UI project or at least the one many project have standardized on gnome/gtk. With that you get all up stream work being done by gnome, ubuntu, popOS, and other I may forget. Are dev still mainly targeting ubuntu for apps development? So if they get all the touch stuff locked down in the most important apps it will draw more people to invest in gnome mobile UI ... which my mean that in the future something like sailfish may only need to be a theme of sorts on top of gnome (this may be a flaw thought).

I believe purism has a lot of negativity towards them these days ... not saying you ... just in general. Which is probably has a lot to do with how they announce product and deliver them. I'm no fan boy. But I'm happy they are trying. Since I believe it will help the mobile linux community at large later down the line. Well I hope so

Look forward to hearing back from folks with more experience then me ;P

x

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post: