View Single Post
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 939 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
How do you read 'develop your own OS' when I say 'free bootloader to load whatever you want'?
No, you didn't say that. You said:
I'm hoping that the next device (Pro2? Pro2 S? ) will be a lot smaller, and will be fully 'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.) and with hardware kill-switches for at least cameras and microphone.
>>'open source' (no lib-hybris, etc.)

No lib-hybris basically means going Purism way. Using only components with open drivers available, and creating your operating system on that base. Which leads obviously to:
1. Very few options for hardware at all, and most of them outdated already (well, some people do not mind, but it makes even harder to make it succeed. Many people are already complaining of 'outdated' cpu of the Pro1, which is still quite top-tier, if compared to open source ones available)
2. Creating a new operating system (or at least parts of it) takes time. Long time. Which results as even more outdated hardware when (/if) the phone ever gets ready. This is exactly what's happening with Purism right now (and Necuno too I guess). And happened to Jolla years ago, even as they used libhybris etc.

But I guess the most important part of your message was
I'm hoping[...]
There's always hope! New hope given by Luke Skywalker or some new Hope Tech components, or something else.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Koiruus For This Useful Post: