View Single Post
Originally Posted by olf View Post
To make the keyboard as bad to use with clumsy fingers as the TOHkb for the Jolla 1 and the N900's keyboard?
No thanks, IMHO a 5,2" screen and consequently a keyboard with its width is the smallest practically usable size (at least for people over 40)!
Well, I guess that's a real matter of personal preference then, because I personally thought the N900 was perfect in it's size, including the keyboard I'm a big guy (1.95m) with big hands, by the way.

Oh no, that would be the perfect route for F(X)tec to kill their enterprise: Developing an Operating System.
Purism tries that, it takes years (by which such a device is delayed), bears huge technical and business risks, costs a lot of money and thus significantly increases the price of the device (by ca. €500 for the Librem).
How do you read 'develop your own OS' when I say 'free bootloader to load whatever you want'?

"Hardware kill-switches" are primarily good for those, who do not trust their software stack to control these peripherals properly.
If so, you should not use that software stack at all, thus implementing kill switches just increases parts count and mechanical complexity for no real gain.
I wonder, have you followed the development of the Neo900, and do you know why so much effort was put into separating the memory used by the phone's modem from the memory used by the CPU/rest of the system? It's because the modem is running on a proprietary software blob of which you do not know what it does. We have no choice but to use it however, otherwise you have non-working modem, and thus no telephony functionality. The modem might read shared memory, maybe influence it as well. So, your assumption is right: I do not trust the software stack. Hence why the Neo900 was attempting to detach/sandbox the modem as much as possible, as Purism is doing with it's Neo900, and built in hardware kill switches as well, as both Purism and PinePhone are doing.

I find your manner of thinking strange. It's the same as: "why include a 3.5mm headphone jack? I won't use it anyway". Sure, but maybe other people would? If you don't want to use hardware kill-switches, simply don't.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post: