View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Officially supported Linux (Ubuntu MATE 19.10) will be (or is supposed to be) released this October.
It's really just about the kernel. So as long as you install 5.2, any distro that works with it should work.

Other downside is that there seems to be no quick way to type scandic characters such as ö, ä or å with Windows, or at least the keyboard I chose when I ran through OOBE (first run experience) is not easily changed...
As a German I'm in the same boat with my Umlauts and ß.

I did the following hack to adress this:
The device has a us qwerty layout which I don't want to mess with. But I'm never going to need the gb layout here, so I can break this.
I copied /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us to /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gb and made the following changes:
Code:
$ diff -u0 /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gb
--- /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us	2019-02-11 20:25:45.000000000 +0100
+++ /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gb	2019-07-28 07:54:53.374239445 +0200
@@ -26 +26 @@
-    key <AD07> {	[	  u,	U		]	};
+    key <AD07> {	[	  u,	U,	udiaeresis	]	};
@@ -28 +28 @@
-    key <AD09> {	[	  o,	O		]	};
+    key <AD09> {	[	  o,	O,	odiaeresis	]	};
@@ -33,2 +33,2 @@
-    key <AC01> {	[	  a,	A 		]	};
-    key <AC02> {	[	  s,	S		]	};
+    key <AC01> {	[	  a,	A, 	adiaeresis	]	};
+    key <AC02> {	[	  s,	S,	ssharp		]	};
@@ -39 +39 @@
-    key <AC07> {	[	  j,	J		]	};
+    key <AC07> {	[	  j,	J,	Udiaeresis	]	};
@@ -41 +41 @@
-    key <AC09> {	[	  l,	L		]	};
+    key <AC09> {	[	  l,	L,	Odiaeresis	]	};
@@ -45 +45 @@
-    key <AB01> {	[	  z,	Z 		]	};
+    key <AB01> {	[	  z,	Z,	Adiaeresis	]	};
@@ -56,0 +57,2 @@
+    key <CAPS> { [ ISO_Level3_Shift, ISO_Level3_Shift ] };
The last line turns my (useless - at best) CapsLock key into an AltGr key and assings lower case Umlauts and ß to the AltGr level of their respective base characers (so Caps + a becomes ä etc.). Upper case letters are assigned to the key right below their base key (Caps + z = Ä).
Now all I have to do is to load the gb layout in Xfce and I have all the extra characters I need.

(edit: And I also changed Xfce's default key for closing windows from Alt + F4 to Alt + 4 because I didn't like pressing that extra Fn key in the process, especially since there is the Super key in between which means one can't press both Alt and Fn with the same finger.)

And yes, I will definitely change the ssd, maybe I will use your video as a walk-through
It's not "my" video.
(No) credit, where (no) credit is due please!

edit2:
To maximize the amount of desktop space that's available for window content, I have Xfce disable window decorations on maximized windows.
I use windowck-plugin [1] instead. Unfortunately that isn't available in Debian, so I have to build it myself. I'll attach my deb package here so you don't have to.

[1] https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/pa...indowck-plugin
Attached Files
File Type: deb xfce4-windowck-plugin_0.4.5_amd64.deb (45.1 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by sulu; 2019-07-29 at 22:38. Reason: added windowck-plugin

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: