View Single Post
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
And I live in a place where even laptops with localized backlit keyborad does not exist. Only english variant with printed croatian letters. And that is not exactly usable in the dark.
Weird, I live with a Croatian and I seem to remember her former Acer laptop had a Croatian keyboard, with differences compared to a classic ANSI English keyboard. Or was it just Croatian keycaps on a non-Croatian ANSI layout? Maybe I'm mistaken. Anyway that was not a backlit keyboard, just a low end Acer disposable laptop.

I forced her to switch to ANSI Qwerty and US International (which I did too, from ISO Azerty, and now my life is better). She didn't do the transition so well though, now I'm better at typing Croatian characters than she is, even if I have no use for it since I only know the big words.

All that just to say that the transition to ANSI Qwerty for non-English speakers is totally possible thanks to US International. It might be a rocky road, but the reward once used to it is really something (more characters, more flexibility, more devices). Not everyone will like it of course (especially if having multiple devices, then it is mandatory to be able to type without looking at the keys), and not everyone will want to go through the learning curve. That's totally understandable, but doing so opens new horizons.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post: