View Single Post
Posts: 649 | Thanked: 762 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I've only just seen this post, but would still like to reply that con artists can (also) accurately be described as "someone simply trying to sell something". You are completely ignoring all context and painting said member as wholly innocent and everyone who dishes out criticism as some sort of brutish monster. It's not some bloke who found TMO and said "oh, I still have an old N900 lying around, might as well sell it to these enthusiasts", it isn't even a collector who's trimming their collection, instead it's the very definition of a scalper. A wolf in sheep's clothes, if you will. The idea that sheep should be nice and kind to a wolf just because he's temporarily dressing as a sheep is plainly ridiculous.

By the way, if you read this post, do you still assume innocence? Before that post, the only things that were said were "that's expensive" and "Turing phones don't receive any software updates". Does that really warrant such a rude and pompous reply from the seller?

As a final note, it's probably too far gone now but the past couple of years there's been a strongly increasing trend to write off all criticism, snarky or not, as 'trolling', but that's not at all what trolling is about. Unfortunately, most of the times it's now used to say "I don't agree with you, hence you're a troll". The same thing has happened to a slightly lesser extent to the concept of a 'strawman': "I don't agree with or simply don't understand your argument, therefore it's a strawman". It's really frustrating as these debate stoppers (in my language there's a nice word for them called 'dooddoeners': death-doers/killers) quickly kill off all legitimate discussion.
It is my belief that wicket's comment that you are quoting is almost entirely aimed at you. I don't think the comments before yours, nor the sellers response to them were of note at all. You saying that he(?) is the " the scum of the earth" because he is trying to sell something that he believes has increased in value since its release is certainly of note.

The internet has always been a place where people can do and say things without the same threat of consequence that is found in the real world. This leads (in my experience) to more frequent and heated "debates". I think that everyone is very aware of the buttons they are pressing when they press them. Let's not be surprised when the mean spirited comments we make have the desired response.

All of that being said, I rarely think people have "crossed the line" in what is said here. I come here for entertainment (as I'm sure most of you do), and I am never disappointed.

The Following User Says Thank You to imaginaryenemy For This Useful Post: