View Single Post
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Very few people ever received the Jolla Tablet though, even fewer probably still use it. I understand that sucks if you happen to be one of those exclusive few but I can understand if they don't spend much time on Jolla Tablet only issues.
That's true, but it feels like a lot of these bugs are stuff they could fix in two minutes. The problem with Alien Dalvik ignoring the locale, for example, is something you can work around yourself by entering 1 (one) line in the terminal. Besides, I presume the problems would happen on all devices that are similar in design to the tablet. If there's ever a Sailfish X for an Xperia tablet, they'll probably have to fix those bugs anyway.

Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I'm afraid that's the only way to go if you want to support both past and future Sailfish OS releases - there is either just libpython 3.4 in SFOS <3.0.2 and only libpython 3.7 in SFOS >= 3.0.2.
I don't think supporting both past and future Sailfish OS releases should ever be a goal, though. As a mobile operating system, Sailfish is not developed to have multiple versions available at the same time. There's only one version and that's the latest version. There are some people missing a couple or even an entire bucket full of screws, who stay on long outdated versions for the most inane reasons (not too long ago I came across someone on TJC who hadn't updated past 1.1.7, by now almost four years old, because he didn't like the UI of what came after - apparently security, a plethora of minor and major bug fixes, much better performance, more features and overall more available applications weren't as important as whether you swipe up or right to view your notifications), but I don't think it's reasonable or even right to support these people in their neophobia.
There's one situation where I think it's okay to explicitly support older versions, and that's when community ports are temporarily stuck on an older version because there's some problems with the new version that still have to be ironed out. Of course, if a community port hasn't received any updates past 1.1.x, it probably doesn't make sense to want to make your application support it.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post: