View Single Post
Posts: 1,703 | Thanked: 4,752 times | Joined on Apr 2018 @ Helsinki, Finland.
DO NOT TRY ANYTHING SAID IN THIS POST!!!
EVERYTHING IS STILL UNTESTED!!!

Just fired up my N810 which I purchased about a year ago but haven't been using at all. Now followed endsormeans idiot proof instructions of how to set it up, update and get repos from Gronmeyer. Well they were not idiot proof! This idiot needed more instructions - which were nicely spread around the forum when I always managed to ask questions under wrong threads. The most stupid once I pmd. Still some self esteem left to keep and protect. But at last got it up and running with asui, cssu and diablo turbo. And also squeeze running on ED!

But something is missing: netsurf 3.8. I like how ultimately fast it is on Jessie on N900. So why not install it on this device? First I just thought of trying to dpkg those packages to squeeze. Why not? They are packages, they are debian and they are used in ED environment. I think I asked about it from sulu and I think he mentioned that there is a slight difference with armel (N810) and armhf (N900). I don't understand the difference to be more than couple of letters in the end of an image name but at last accepted it.

Also it may affect that those packages are for Jessie (I think) and there is bigger difference with letters with jessie and squeeze than with armel and armhf (maybe not: there are too e letters on both and letter s. Should use aritmetic to be sure of the percentages). But it could help if I get Jessie on N810! Started to google debian jessie armel chroot image and how to build one. Found many new words, debootstrap and others, and read through many guides of how to make it happen, webos, kameleon, debos, multistrapping.

Almost thought of trying start from scratsh to build an armel jessie img but then found sulus instructions for jessie chroot on ed thread and gave up. So much to do and have to understand.

Also thought that what if I would just try to install jessie with usb and imginstaller cause I atleast know how to partition sdcard with geparted. Now I already have to choose where to boot so why not just make one partition, use imginstaller to install jessie on that and boot up from there. The imginstaller must be wiser than me and it always knows how to configure keyboard and screen and wifi and such. Haven't totally buried that idea.

But in the end it is probably easier just to download img from the net and try. Finally found one jessie armel chroot img from Samygo blog and downloaded it on my N810.

Started to hesitate though cause it is build for samsung tvs. Now I am not sure is it possible that there are too big differences in setup, thinking of screen and volume stuff which could do some damage to N810. Idea was that because it is a minimal build without desktop or gui I would just try to dpkg netsurf packages with it and hope some --fix-missing or aptitude -t would fill up what is missing and I could launch netsurf from chroot. Simple and easy!

Endsormeans gave me an advice (while answering my endless questions): read through the forums and do not hesitate. Hmm. I have the samygo samsungtv minimal jessie armel img already on my device and would just need to change in .chroot the name and try.

So hard to give up of a good idea. We'll see what I decide.

Yours,

Maemish

"Don't know how but I can try" - Maemish
Attached Images

Last edited by Maemish; 2019-03-14 at 15:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maemish For This Useful Post: