View Single Post
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
How do you actually commit to this? As far as I can tell there has been no request go funding. Just asking...
Sorry, wasn't all that clear. I didn't mean it in relation to a Kickstarter or anything like that. As you correctly started, I don't think there is one. I meant more along the lines of committing myself to get one. At the moment, due to the issues experienced by other projects, such as by Chen with the tablet/keyboard, the GTA04 based N900 and the number other promising campaigns that have hit snags, I need more reassurance. I expect many others to be in the same boat. Dave999, may order one regardless if his tablet money is fully refunded so if it goes belly up he has something to still moan about

PlayStation 5, I'll be pre-ordering straight away. It's Sony. They've made 4 others that were successful. Generally speaking I have no problems with their hardware. They sold millions. I'm comfortable backing them.

Nintendo are an example of something else I mentioned about having reserves to experiment. Wii onwards have enabled alternative methods of control but all have also supported gamepads so as not to alienate previous buyers. The WiiU also experimented with form factor and flopped. The Switch is a bit like an evolution of the WiiU and is now a huge success. With the success of previous efforts, the WiiU's failure, although a loss in terms of profit (not sure about R&D and other expenses for a net figure) was coped with.

Chen's project is still getting off the ground. There's no dedicated fanbase to the brand pestering stores to preorder (if they could). There's no millions of previous sales. The lure is the keyboard, a useful addition as opposed to Blackphone's security or Turing's fancy metal. Paranoid security is good but it doesn't have a "watch this mate" to the average person down the pub. The keyboard is user promotable to general public. How does it work? Slide and type. If they don't get that, they have a problem. Try explaining network security, mitigation, best practices etc to a technophobe.

A useful, user promotable feature, mainstream screen etc. makes me think this could be a success. Until I see some reviews and devices delivered I'll have to hold out.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post: