View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
Is this common on phones? Like, there is Android phones having 1920 or even higher resolution. Are they designed the same way or is it just Purism? Because what's the point on having such a resolution for the screen if it is scaled to half?
I don't know about Android phones, but I guess Purism does what it's doing, because as a small company with no influence on hardware parts manufacturers, they have to take what they can get.
If we have a look at available 5.7" panels [1], it seems like you have to go for a 1440x720 panel and scale the software output if you want more than 640 pixels width and/or no 4:3 format and if you want to have the touch matrix integrated (which I would prefer in Purism's situation).

Originally Posted by Koiruus View Post
edit: I have thought that UI (not just Purism but UI's in common) are made to fit to the screen and intended use. For example, if the buttons are too small on high resolution, they will make bigger ones.
That's what you do, if you have full control over the UI design. But Purism doesn't have that, they merely cooperate with Gnome on this project. That's one reason why I think they use Gnome's integrated zoom feature.
Basically pichlo's edit in #409 nails it.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Yes, sulu, but would you call desktop UI on the N900 "usable"?
Certainly not. But Estel has shown some quite interesting experiments with Easy Debian's LXDE desktop.
So I think at least LXDE and Xfce could be made to work quite well on a 5.7" touch screen. Of course they still wouldn't stand a chance in terms of modern fashion, which I guess is why Purism didn't consider them.

I use Xfce on a 12" tablet. I had to scale some things up, not for visibility but to hit the buttons. It looks a bit awkward here and there, but it works very well, even better than Gnome (which looks better but works worse).
I'm aware that 6" is a totally different story, but I believe fashion aside, they could have just as well made Xfce usable with the amount of work they had and have to invest into making Gnome work.

btw: I also believe that Purism will stick with Gnome. They just don't have the manpower or expertise to develop a mobile UI from scratch.
There are currently no FLOSS mobile UIs in good shape. What remains are probably some proprietary mobile UIs (Sailfish?) that don't fit their philosophy, and some half-baked desktop UIs that sort of work on a mobile screen. Among these, they chose the best-looking one, which is Gnome.

[1] http://www.panelook.com/modelsearch....igh=300&page=1

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: