View Single Post
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Been unusually busy lately, but I haven't fallen off the face of the Earth (or blasted off to test the spherical vs. flat argument).

<long story alert>

In fact, I've gotten an Xperia X to try the official Sailfish X on. I'd been using a Oneplus X with a community SFOS build, and really liked it. Unfortunately, its support for US frequency bands is incomplete, so it's voice and data QOS is a problem in some places -- one of which is my house. So on the Experia bandwagon I hop!

Backing up the Digital Restrictions Management stuff turned out to be a bigger PITA than I'd expected, and began to look like it was gonna take more time than the device sells for at the hourly rate I bill my free time to myself. So it's SFOS all the way for me! (If I ever need to part with the phone, I'm sure someone here would like it at a very reasonable price with Sailfish installed.)

I miss the double-tap to wake. Hopefully that gap will be filled soon. Also miss the display-off gestures, particularly to start the camera and the flashlight. But the biggest regression from the OnePlus community build is the SD card support. On the OnePlus X, I was able to use any SD card I tried, including a 64GB card with the exfat support from OpenRepos, but with Sailfish X I found that all my cards 32GB and bigger -- fat32 or exfat -- fail with dmesg errors about "tuning". I see that's apparently a kernel issue with the build and certain SD cards related to timing and transfer speed, etc.

</long story>

But now, something I hope someone has some insight on. I was able to use a 16GB fat32 card -- for a while. I installed a few apps, including SSHFS support to copy my backup off the other device -- so far so good. Then I tried the exfat tools, including bleeding edge SD card tools. Once I installed the bleeding edge sd-utils, the 16GB card wouldn't mount, automagically or manually. I removed bleeding edge sd-utils and replaced it with stock, and 16GB SD card was back.

Again -- so far, so good.

So I restored the backup from SD card and went on to install a bunch of my favorite apps. Somewhere along the way, the 16GB SD card disappeared again. It's okay in other devices and on the Ubuntu PC, so I don't think it's a hardware failure. Instead, I suspect that something I installed in the meantime has caused the issue. I've tried uninstalling a few things and retrying the SD card, but I haven't found a culprit. I've searched here and on TJC, but haven't found another report of this behavior. As of now, I can't seem to use any SD I have of any size or format.

If anyone's got any ideas on this, I love to hear them . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post: