View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by alfmar View Post
until the unlikely event of getting a serial port console or a method to boot off microSD, messing with the boot sequence (kernel, boot partitions, etc) may brick the phone, because everything -including the factory reset option- depends on a bootable kernel accessing the right partitions containing the right data. If anything goes wrong while messing with fdisk and partition 51 and volume manager, the Xperia is probably bricked.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Jolla's recovery kernel only relies on its embed initrd ramdisk (that was certainly the case on Jolla 1)

It doesn't rely on data nor recovery partitions. You could nuke them and the recovery will still boot.
(But you won't be able to use the "factory reset" entry from the telnet menu. You'll have to drop into a shell a fix by hand).

So you could OFF ; Volume-key Down ; USB cable :
Code:
fastboot flash recovery hybris-recovery.img
then OFF ; Volume-key Up ; USB cable for recovery ; follow on-screen instruction to telnet.

Or more directly :
Code:
fastboot boot hybris-recovery.img
to straight load and boot it without even writing it to flash.

I haven't had time to investigate yet, but I strongly suspect that the bootloader itself isn't stored on the eMMC flash.
So fastboot mode should work even without it, and fastboot boot should be entirely be doable in-RAM.
Thus this last option should still work even if you completely **** up the whole GPT partition and need to re-partition manually.
(But this isn't a guarantee. Maybe the bootloader needs to do something silly, like checking a checksum or a signature in order to decide if it needs to display a warning, and crashes in case of corrupt partitions)

The Following User Says Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: