View Single Post
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by British View Post
I only just noticed this thread, and now I'm curious...[LIST][*]Is there a website with applications specific to the Youyota (read: not android) ?
In addition to Jolla's own shop :

- OpenRepos.net repository of 3rd party Apps for Sailfish OS (in addition to Maemo).
It case be accessed with a nice interface on the device use "Warehouse" app (or you can install the RPMs on the command line over SSH).

- Mer Openbuild System several developers use this system to compile their RPMs. It's not very end-user friendly, but it's another place to find stuff to install.

Now keep in mind that this tablet runs intel hardware.

So you either need RPMs of the "noarch" type (no binary, only scripts. Like most pure QML applications)
or RPMs compiled for 486.
You can't use (directly) RPMs compiled for ARM.

[*]Would that tablet work properly if I connect it to internet through USB ?
I don't have (yet...) any experience with the tablet itself, but playing with other Sailfish OS devices (like Jolla 1 smartphone) :
Yes, you can reverse-tether.

(It's GNU/Linux under the hood. No technical reason why it shouldn't work).

BUT... there are no nice interface to activate it.

By default, by plugging the cable into the device you get a simple direct USB Networking (both devices get 192.168.1.x private addresses) and can see each-other (you can SSH into your device, or the device can RSYNC to copy files).

If you want the smartphone/tablet to connect to the internet over USB, you need to :
- manually add routing on the smartphone/tablet (mainly add a default gateway on the IPv4 and/or IPv6 routing tables)
- activate routing and/or masquarading (for IPv4) on the laptop that connects to the internet.
It's nothing complicated. It's just that the phone doesn't do it by itself.
(You'll eventually need to add some script to do it automatically for you).

At least for the other direction (sharing the phone's connection, i.e.: tethering)
there are tools on the phone (though I haven't tested it on USB).

Are you planning to use the device in some "public terminal" configuration ? (Point of sale ? Photo slide show ?)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post: