View Single Post
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
I wouldn't take lower price for older SoC granted. Usually they are made on older manufacturing process, which may be more expensive to manufacture, also they don't have economy of scale as the demand for them is generally lower. This of course in situation where one is not trying to tap into some leftover pieces. Newer manufacturing process usually means improved power efficiency as well as improved processing power, so going to mid-level reasonably fresh SoC and architecture instead of already abandoned tech IMO has it's benefits. Also, creating PCB with all the other components for old SoC may require more effort and add up costs. OMAP was decent architecture but AFAIK it didn't have much demand outside Nokia and when Nokia went with Qualcomm, TI didn't have much incentive to develop it further. Maybe if Nokia had bought it and made it "their own" like Apple did with their own SoC there would have been a differentiator... but it would have required MeeGo to succeed.

So, IMO there are not many good reasons for (really) old SoC if one is to create competitive device.
I don't fully buy into that explanation.

As it happens, device battery runtimes have remained about the same and in the long view gone dramatically down even as battery capacity and technologies have improved all the time.

I hold the view that going for all-the-time-faster CPU's and new architectures is the culprit to blame.

On the other hand if you had an existing SoC that would be evolved in manufacturing technology but not tried to squeeze more power out of it would certainly come more power-efficient over generations.
And having same drivers that could be optimized properly and not some quick-hack-let's-just-make-android-compatible-drivers-now would leverage to get more out of the HW.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: