View Single Post
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
This is actually not true. Qt 4.7 (the first version which had QML) was available on the N900 as well.

I know because I actually wrote an app that used it.
Well what a surprise; I was totally unaware of this! Thanks!
What else stopped them then to back Maemo? they had everything in place; except multitouch, which would have been added latest by 2010, putting them ahead / on par with iphone, and full integration via qt with symbian apps. I mean, w0t? The magnitude of this patatrac (to use a nice word) just grew exponentially; this had all the numbers to be a slam dunk and instead turned into a smelly turd that doesnt want to flush down the toilet!

Does this prove that Harmattan per se was redundant and that maemo could have made it just as much?
EDIT: by backing i mean "release more devices with maemo"

EDIT#2: from a different angle.

Could jolla have ditched harmattan in favour of Maemo, upgraded gtk to latest to get the multitouch, replaced QT 4.7 with 5.1 on top of it, integrated libhybris, and released a device?

Assuming it'd be doable (then again what is not nowadays), it could have potentially yield quite a good experience.

Cant stop but think now; I wonder what it'd take to get maemo to work with libhybris?

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2017-08-18 at 12:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post: