View Single Post
Kudos for "Patchmanager 2 for SailfishOS", which is a vast improvement over "Patchmanager for Jolla settings (Patchmanager 1)", both for developers (i.e. technically) and for users (i.e. in terms of usability). Still (in order to make it even better), here a description of a bug and a few usability flaws, I experienced with Patchmanager 2.3.1-10.39.1.jolla on a Jolla 1 phone under SFOS 2.1.0.11:

1. Bug in handling updated compatibility information of Patches:
Prelude:
When SFOS 2.1.0.11 was released, most Patches in Patchmanager's Web catalog were still marked as for "... 2.1.0.10 EA" at most, so I had to toggle "Enable developer mode" in order to install them. This worked nicely and these Patches are displayed in red in Patchmanager's installed Patches list (which is good).
Meanwhile all these Patches were refreshed and are now marked as compatible to 2.1.0.11 in the Web catalog, but their version numbers were not increased (most of them are at 0.0.2).
Bug description:
Consequently Patchmanager 2 obviously does not handle them as updated, hence still displayes them in red in Patchmanager's installed Patches list and still shows "Compatible: 2.0.1.10" in the detailed Patch information (by a tap on a Patch name) there.
Expected behaviour:
Updates of the "Compatible with" information in the Web catalog should trigger an update of this information for already installed Patches from the Web catalog, thus eventually not displaying them in red anymore.

2. As a Patch can be installed in a Patch details page within the Web catalog, I expected a possibility to uninstall them there as well. It took me quite a while to understand that both, Patches installed from Warehouse and Patches installed from the Web catalog, can be uninstalled by a long press on a installed Patch name in Patchmanager's installed Patches list.
Please provide a possibility to uninstall Patches in their Patch details page within the Web catalog as well (e.g. by a top pulley entry or by also a long press on an installed Patch version), as one expects an ability to uninstall, where one installs (this is already valid for RPM-Patches).
Still, I believe uninstalling by a long press on a installed Patch name in Patchmanager's installed Patches list should stay as well; once found, it is quite useful there and works for *all* Patches (regardless, if from Warehouse or the Web catalog).

3. Minor usability flaws in Patchmanager's "About" dialogue:
3a. Patchmanager's "About" dialogue does not reveal the version number of the installed Patchmanager.
3b. One cannot scroll in Patchmanager's "About" dialogue to its bottom in landscape orientation.

4. The detailed Patch information page (reachable by a tap on a Patch name in the top level list of installed Patches) does not display the version and source (from Patchmanager's web catalog or from a RPM) of an installed Patch.

*Edit:* Continued in ...
Originally Posted by olf View Post
# 2224

Last edited by olf; 2017-05-26 at 23:31. Reason: Linked to continuation in post # 2224

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post: