View Single Post
Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by jellotherat View Post
The SD standard only allows for cards up to 2GB due to the use of 32-bit byte addressing.
32 bits can address 4GB just fine
Originally Posted by jellotherat View Post
. Before SDHC was introduced, some manufacturers increased the capacity of their cards to 4GB by using a control bit, normally used for parity information, as an additional address bit (essentially extending it to a 33-bit address). Since these cards effectively removed the parity control bit, they are less reliable than standard cards, are not compatible with many devices, and technically don't even meet the SD technical specs set out by the SD Card Association. Many companies still sell 4GB non-SDHC cards, but I would avoid them at all costs.
That's nonsense. The reason why SD standard goes only to 2GB is limitation of FAT16 filesystem, those non-standard cards must use FAT32 just like SDHC cards. There is nothing wrong with those 4GB cards (if device understands FAT32). There is no hardware difference between 2GB and 4GB SD cards except bigger flash. Also the communication on block level (layer below filesystem, reading/writing blocks) is same.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.