View Single Post
Originally Posted by kyllerbuzcut View Post
I am fed up waiting for a decent successor to the n900, so now looking at "other means" of having something in my pocket that does what I want. It's time to take matters into my own hands, because phone/mobile device manufactures only seem to want to produce thin rectangles with no buttons....
...While searching I came across the Gole 1 and also the GPD Win. These look like some really decent options -
The Gole looks very interesting, they just need to be asked
if it is compatible with a linux distro (for those of us who care).

...There are also some other SOC boards, similar to the Raspberry pi but with a bit more power, that could be cobbled together with a screen and battery, which could be made into something really sweet. I am sure some people will have 3D printers to make some sweet cases for these setups as well, but I'd probably have to carve something out of wood, or use cellotape to wrap it all together lol
Making it look nice is less important to me than how it actually works obviously, but I imagine there are tons of options like cutting up a pencil case to put them into, or even styrofoam (nice and bouncy if it gets dropped ) etc.
Maybe we could have a while thread about building mini linux boxes with 7inch or 6 inch screens etc using these things? ...
These are entirely possible,
but the devil is in the amount of time spent in tinkering something together. There is so much hit-and-miss discovery-time lost there...
...Or should I just give up and get a tablet?
I am finally seeing this as the only realistic option left:
A linux tablet fed internet from an android serving internet.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post: