View Single Post
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry to paraphrase rather than fully quote:
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
I'm usually already in the app X when i want to do Y. Why do I have to leave it and go to settings.
Exactly! This is exactly my point.

Regarding the camera resolution in Settings:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I don't know anyone who ever lowers the default resolution of their camera, you can achieve better results by shooting with the default resolution and editing afterwards as necessary. If storage is an issue... <snip>
No, storage is not the issue. The reason for using different formats for different purposes is that:
  • It is more convenient for situations like send by email or upload to various sites (including TMO) that automatically reduce the resolution anyway, so what's the point wasting my bandwidth uploading a large picture?
  • There is still no good tool on Jolla to resize the picture after taking it. There is Resize in Harbour but with an interface that sucks so much I stopped using it months ago.
  • The Camera settings in Settings do not really let you choose different resolutions, only different formats (4:3 or 16:9). I choose the one that is best suitable for the picture I am taking. This can happen multiple times in a single session (for example, 16:9 portraits look horrible).

Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I'm insulted by that assumption.
Sorry, insulting anyone was not my intention.

The truth is that it was those companies that introduced the idea that settings are global and people got deformed by that view without realizing it. Not just that, but many other things introduced by them infiltrated into the mainstream and got accepted as "the only way". For example, the need to register an account to access the application store. Or the idea that media files must be indexed and put in a large database. Or that the destination folder for downloaded files is hard-coded. And so on and so forth.

You may try to deny it but that is just about all you can do about it.

Last edited by pichlo; 2016-09-09 at 10:05.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: