View Single Post
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
The API isn't final, afaik, even after almost three years of SailfishOS. Because of it, it is a mess. Harbour apps cannot use it, so if you want to publish your app in Harbour, this method will not be accepted anyway. I wonder if Jolla still believes this is the way forward.
I see this as yet another developer and user public relations fail. Uncertainty is bad - they should have long ago decided and either:

Announced that the interface will never be officially available for third party apps & label it accordingly (System apps in options, etc.).

Or say that it will bee officially available (eventually...) and possibly even actually implement that.

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
(everyone has an opinion)

I would prefer all applications to have a common place (as originally thought by Jolla) and the settings option in the application to be able to open this panel. That is, have the same settings panel accessible from both places with the application running or not.
This is pretty much the same thing I wanted to write - let's do it both ways! Both ways have their pluses and minuses, so lets combine them! There shouldn't be a big overhead as long as this is done properly. It also makes the apps more portable - they would still work on platforms without a central per-app config location.

Also one one argument (possibly already heard) for keeping the central app settings location: headless apps.
There might be applications that provide some non-app (no app icon) functionality and need a way to be configured. You could always do a app-icon and fake app - basically just a configuration screen, but a config screen accessible from unified settings just seems more elegant.

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Most important, the settings should be backed up by the standard backup. (In Maemo you could define in the design which settings to be backed-up)
That should be perfectly possible & it was one of the arguments for the XDG-based & quite strict app folder hierarchy enforced for Harbor apps. It would be nice if it could actually be used for it's purpose.

I think its basically just missing functionality in the backup tool - any idea how much open source is it ? Just the backend and not the UI, as usual ?

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post: