View Single Post
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I would not put it as succinctly as juiceme, but I definitely consider Android support a double-edged sword and the decision to include it short-sighted. Yes, it may have attracted a few more users in the short term, but has caused an unspeakable damage in the long term. One obvious reason is that there is very little incentive to develop native applications. But there is another, even more serious reason. Keep in mind that if your sales tactic is, "it is not really a goose, look, it can quack like a duck", then you may attract a lot of buyers who do not really want a goose but a duck. This very thread is proof that those users will sooner or later become disillusioned when they realize that they have purchased a goose dressed as a duck.
This reminds me of what happened with OS/2; one of its major selling points was that it could run Windows applications very well. With that in mind, few developers made native OS/2 applications, preferring to create Windows programs which would run cross-platform. OS/2 ended up with no ecosystem.

Jolla does have the consistent styling of native apps as a big plus however; it is instantly clear whether an app is a native Sailfish app or an Android app, and that does provide some incentive to provide Sailfish versions of apps. (That, and the ability to use Python, which is one of the most popular languages these days.)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post: