View Single Post
Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
The anti-android zealots continue to astonish me.

Without android support Jolla would not exist, basically. Vastly fewer people would have bought the J1 and thus even if they weren't financially dependent on the sales of that at the start, the pitches to licensing partners and venture capitalists would have had some seriously disappointing numbers in them.

And ok sure, everyone using android apps is a housefly willingly eating faecal matter, but approx. zero percent of important third-party app providers would ever write native versions for Sailfish. So there's no organic non-faecal alternative.
The only thing Android support has discouraged is a few core people in this community writing native versions of things (which as we saw with N9 isn't a vast array of software) - it has absolutely not discouraged official versions of things because they were never going to happen anyway.
Now you may say ah I don't need this nonsense - screw social networks, I am happy with usenet - screw twitter I have some federated commandline fiasco - screw these pokémangoes I don't need it - just realise that you are in the VAST minority and Jolla cannot survive on ubergeeks alone, you have to be able to entice other people onto the boat too or you're sailing nowhere fast.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post: