View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
Isn't the accuracy mainly due to the low pixel density of the display?
That's one reason, yes.
But regardless, so far I haven't been able to control capacitive screens at an accuracy of less than 3 or 4 millimeters, even with a stylus.
Plus, I can control a resistive screen with the tip of my fingernail. It isn't as accurate as a stylus, but still a lot more than my fingertip.

Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
fair enough, but you're all mentioning stylus accuracy, what about finger, wouldn't you have to press into the screen on a resistive one, while you just touch the screen for capacitive.
That's true, but it's just a matter of habit, not a real problem. I for one am sometimes slightly irritated when using a capacitive screen (mostly when trying to use my fingernail). Think of it as the difference between using a (good) fountain pen and a (good) ballpoint pen! It's noticeable, but not a problem if you're used to it.
I've often heard questions like yours from people who only know bad resistive screens, like you'll often find in public terminals (need a lot of pressure, usually poorly calibrated, often scratched). I too prefer a capacitive screen over those any time. But a good resistive screen is a totally different story.

@Kabouik:
My requirements are as follows (roughly sorted by priority):
1. fits in my pocket
2. has a hardware keyboard
3. runs a FLOSS operating system/doesn't come with a proprietary license
4. can make and receive phone calls and SMS
5. allows basic web browsing

The N900 does 1 and 4 very well. 2 is acceptable. 3 and 5 become increasingly difficult due to the age.
The Neo900 would improve in 3 and 5, although not by much I guess. All the other points are pretty much unchanged.
The Pyra would certainly be an improvement in 5, probably in 2 and 3. 1 and 4 would suffer, but I hope to an acceptable amount.
The GPD Win would clearly improve 5 the most, probably improve 2, but fail miserably in all other points.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: